Monday, May 16, 2011

Iris


I started working on some prairie style curtains.  They are going to be made of cotton 30 X 30 tea towels. I am going to applique some Iris flowers on them.  The Iris will be outlined in black to make them look like stained glass.  First we are going to dye the towels in a coffee grounds bath to give them a antiqued look.  

These are the towels after dying them.  When I ironed them the steam smelled like coffee!!!




This is one of finished panels for the window.  It is 22 1/2 X 24 inches.  They will be hung with a tension rod.  



Close up of the Iris Flower itself.  I liked the way they turned out.  I started by making a pattern stencil out of cardstock paper.  Then I traced out the stencils onto the paper side of the Heat-N-Bond Lite paper.  I made 10 of each piece, enough to make 10 flowers.  I then cut the pieces out and ironed them (sticky side down) onto some material that I found at the thrift store for .50 cents each a pillowcase!  I cut out the traced and ironed on pieces out of the fabric.  I laid the pieces onto the curtain and ironed them into place.  Then I outlined the pieces in black to give the flower the stained glass look.  After the second flower I was on a roll!    


This is the flour sack towel I hand embroidered to complete the Iris Flower design of the kitchen.  LOVED the curves in the leaves!  The whole project turned out great-until when completed I realized that I altogether forget to complete a whole curtain! 
BACK to the sewing machine!
Good thing I had some practice!  



Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment