Friday, March 11, 2011

Family quilts...

Here is a quilt I made for my mother-in-law.  It was a fabric challenge at my quilting guild.  They gave us 4 fabrics and we had to incorporate them into a quilt called "Grandma's Flower Garden".  There were no rules except to use the fabrics we were given.  Any size, pattern...  Typically grandma's flower garden blocks are hexagons made into flowers. I choose the wedge shape and made stripes.  I added other fabrics I had found that I thought she might like.  I called it "Grand Maggie's Flower Garden Fence".  She has beautiful flowers all around her house and a green house she makes fresh veggies in during the cold winters of Oklahoma.  She has a green thumb!




I made an Oklahoma State themed quilt for my husband.  He graduated from OSU in 1998!  He helped me tie-dye the black and the orange flannel backing.  He wanted a snuggling lap quilt and this one ended up being a KING SIZED quilt!  It got away from me.  It is so heavy and warm.  He loves it and it was great fun to make for him.






This is a T-shirt quilt I made for a cousin.  He gave me about 16 t-shits and I cut them up and ironed on fusible backing to prevent stretching.  He wanted a fleece backing.  It was heavy!  If I were to do it again I would get the 16 inch ruler and cut all the squares the same size.  My pattern called for a 16 inch ruler for adult t's and 12 inch ruler for children's t's.  I used this pattern:
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/patterns_display.asp?i=14654
Not an expensive quilt to make and ended up turning out great.  I think he liked it.  It is a great way to use up old t's you love and to preserve a memory!


No comments:

Post a Comment